January 4, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Since I've spent the better part of the last week in bed sick with a serious hack, I thought, hey, remember that blog you had??? Between Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest there seems to be little room/need for blogging these days but I'm not ready to give it up just yet so here it goes. 

Most years we head to Colorado Springs for Thanksgiving to have dinner with our good friends the Trahey's. Last year (it is 2014 now, yikes!) they moved up into the mountains and their place and the views are spectacular. I only wish I grabbed my camera to take a shot of the deer standing right next to the "deer crossing" sign on the road leading up to their place. Seriously.
the dinner this year was the best on record
no bread = no leaving the table feeling like you might explode
it only took me 39....I mean...27 years to figure that out
my favorite part is I only have to cook a couple of sides
I made the usual as requested
and something new
Christmas came a little late this year. I traveled like crazy in 2013 and December was no exception. Add to that a dash of food poisoning and my holiday spirit never showed up. Also, I decided it was entirely possible to make 3 quilts for gifts starting about a week before xmas. Let's just say it was not entirely possible and I'll cover that in the next post. I finished quilt #3 today. 

Our friends from Colorado Springs come to Christmas dinner at our house each year. It was an unspoken trade off we worked out about a decade ago and I hate cooking turkey so it works out well. The only picture I took this year was of the pretty table. The food was good but truthfully I always snack too much before dinner and then lose interest in the meal. Plus, we had REALLY good wine. When there is Châteauneuf-du-Pape around who has time for food? Steve made a great beet and goat cheese salad and Stef made a yummy chocolate tart. They also brought us the beautiful flowers which made our house smell nice all week. I made a beef stew that I think is going on 3 years in a row now. I also made the Manchego mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Note on the stew, if you use a fattier cut of beef like short ribs you have to do the braise the day before and then skim the fat. You heard me. Skim. The. Fat. 
New Year's Eve was a bust. I had to cancel our dinner reservations due to the plague I came down with. We planned to go the following Saturday but I'm still not feeling well and winter happened which makes me not want to trudge out in the snow. Better luck next year. So there you have it.
Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails