April 23, 2013

The Paris Wife

Once upon a time I used to be a book reader, until one day I wasn't. When I first started to travel for a living the trips were long and I read at dinner every night. Middlesex. Running With Scissors. Devil in the White City. Interpreter of Maladies. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. And a bunch more I can't recall. As the trips shortened it got to be such a pain to lug books around so I became a magazine reader. Many many many magazines. A few weeks ago I finally broke down and bought an ipad. And then an e-book. I started reading The Paris Wife on my trip to New York on Sunday.

I didn't want to put it down. Couldn't wait to get back to it. Read it until late in the night, just like when I was young. It felt like yesterday I was 15 and reading at the cottage late into the night, all summer long...Gone With the Wind was my favorite. I trudged through Moby Dick.

I can't remember reading a book so fast. I read 75% of The Paris Wife on Sunday (my Kindle reader told me that and my engineer's brain was happy to know it). I finished the book the next night. And then it was over. For me, a really good book ends with a death of sorts. The story is over and I'll never see it again. It is such a loss and then I'm sad that I read it at all. Weird right? But as much as I might love a book, I never read one twice.

I think historical fiction has become my favorite. You get a good story and learn something about the world in the process. This one was the story of Hemingway's first wife and I found their relationship so compelling, full of passion and betrayal. I couldn't get enough really. You could see the train wreck coming. It made me want to grab my husband and hold tight. It was a reminder of how much work marriage is.

Next up? His side of the story....A Moveable Feast. I hope it lives up to my expectations. From Hadley's perspective, he was a real cad and I found myself hating him for it. I can't recall reading Hemingway before so I'm looking forward to it. Stay tuned...


2 comments:

  1. You are on the right track to read AMF after The Paris Wife. It will make more sense, and you will be able to relate to it better. I became obsessed with this time (just like everyone else) after the move Midnight in Paris. Another good read is Everybody Was So Young. About a very interesting wealthy couple, the Murphy's, who lived in Paris during this time and they were friends with Hemingway, Picasso, Fitzgerald.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already found reading TPW first very helpfull, thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails