July 15, 2012

Landscaping Project #2 & Grow Dammit Grow

We did a mini-landscaping project in the back yard a couple of weeks ago in our continuing attempt to rid our property of the red mulch we inherited.  This would have been a super easy project except I had to dig/chop/pull up huge tree roots from a tree the neighbors had removed last year that was busting through our fence and probably would have broken up our sidewalk eventually. It was back breaking work involving a shovel, a pitch fork, tree trimmers and an axe, 100F degree sun, several bags of clay buster and rubber mulch, a lot of sweat, and a few mother f#@$ers said by moi. Side note: I asked Bernie to buy me an axe thinking one of those little hand axes…he bought me Paul Bunyan's axe so I'm surprised I still have all my limbs. Only one sprinkler line died in the process.
before
 after
I planted a couple of "Golden Thunder" barberry bushes, 3 different lavender plants (Provence, English, and white), and a "Vienna" hydrangea. They are a bit too close together but I had already bought the plants then ran out of time before a trip so I figured I would get them in the ground and move one later if I had to. It isn't 100% done because I want a strip of edging and more mulch but you get the idea. We'll get our yard looking good…one little strip at a time. Another side note: see that fenced in area in the corner? Doesn't it look like the perfect area to keep some chickens??? I'm still thinking about that one…plus I'm not sure if our neighbor would appreciate chickens watching her do laundry.
Not the best picture, but I snapped this with my phone when I was in Cherry Creek and it was my inspiration for this project. I loved the way the green and purple of the lavender played off the bright yellow and green of the barberry bushes. It looked way more pretty in person I swear.

The garden is doing ok this year even though I've neglected it since I've been traveling a lot. The garlic is 90% pulled so I have to finish that up and plant some more veggies in its place. But to be honest, between the garden, the new raised bed, and the two landscaping projects I've had enough of yard work for the year. We're growing pretty much the same things as we have the last two years: tomatoes, cucumbers, brussels sprouts, lots of basil, garlic, chard, kale, lettuce, carrots, beans plus shallots, leeks, and bunching onions / shallots. I planted two kinds of peas too but I waited too long and it has been so hot they were a no-go.

tomatoes, garlic, brussels sprouts, basil, cukes, and leeks
our compost pile and new raised bed with French green beans on the trellis
lettuce, carrots, shallots, and chard


6 comments:

  1. I really loved reading your blog. I was chuckling especially with your idea of raising some chickens! Well, the downside of having these birds around is they are garden bullies, so you better give it some thought, and although chickens aren't good fliers, they can flap their wings well enough to fly over that relatively low fence. I must say, I can see great promise with how you arranged the greenery. It will look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katy! I haven't had much time to write lately. And the chickens…Those seem like way too much work :) Plus, we have hawks in the park by our house that swoop in and eat the pigeons. I would hate to see them fly off with a chicken.

      Delete
  2. Not bad, Keri! :D At least, in your attempts to get rid of those red mulches, you’ve extracted something good. Just continually use those to your own benefit, in organic gardening, perhaps. I can already see the quality-colored greens in here. If you take advantage of the mulch’s color, you can surely create an attractive landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy! Just finished another section of the landscaping this weekend. Only a few more to go.

      Delete
  3. Looking at your garden, I can say that it looks great! The yard is not that green as what most people would expect and wish to have, but I know, with proper care and maintenance you will be able to achieve it. Well, the bushes and the other plants really enhance the look of your yard. Great job, Keri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all the proper care and maintenence but it was Hottest summer in Denver in 50 years!!! Watering restrictions, etc. Was a tough year for all grass, plants, garden, etc.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails