November 4, 2011

Grow Dammit Grow

As if the update on the North Garden wasn't excitement enough…I present the slightly less exciting, yet still productive, South Garden. The garlic was the big star here. At first I thought maybe it wasn't worth the time and effort but I was way wrong. The quality of home grown garlic is unbelievable. The South edge of our yard gets the least amount of sun so I planted things that can tolerate some shade - green beans, kale, chard, lettuce and basil.

April 18
May 30
 July 3
August 1
September 24
We ate beans a whopping one time. Won't be growing those again anytime soon. And as much as I like the idea of planting lettuce to eat whenever we want instead of buying it (and throwing it out half the time) we hardly ate any lettuce. There was something spicy in the seed mixes I used which I didn't like in my green juice. So the lettuce just kind of sat along with the beans. The kale however, just kept on coming. I don't think I've bought any kale, chard, cucumber or basil since at least June. So I had awesome green juice for the last 4 months and it hardly cost me anything. I would fill the entire sink with kale and chard for each batch and my supply never once ran out. I cut the remaining kale and chard before Wednesday's snow which will last me for 5 more green juices. I don't know if juices is even a word, whatever. I'm sad to have to go back to the produce section at the store, it's just not the same. Next year I need to look into getting a cold frame.

If I could grow apples and citrus I would have all the juice ingredients right in my own back yard. What month does one plant apple trees anyway? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails