August 3, 2011

Grow Dammit Grow

Last Halloween I planted two varieties of organic heirloom garlic from Seed Savers Exchange
10 cloves each
German Extra Hardy (hardneck)
and
Inchellium Red (softneck)

two weeks ago I dug up the softnecks
 there are like a million methods for drying garlic
I don't know if this was the best but it was easy
and I like easy
I carefully cleaned off all the dirt and then peeled back one or two leaves
 voilà! nice and clean
 I tied them together and hung them in the basement storage room
this wasn't a fully thought out plan, our basement stunk for a week
Last weekend I pulled up the hardnecks. This time I hung them for a few days in the garage then put them in the basement before I left for vacation. Even if they do stink I won't be around to care. If you were like me and didn't know there were different types of garlic then here is a quick lesson. Basically, softneck garlic is what you typically find in your grocery store. Hardneck garlic grows a scape which is kind of a cross between a green onion and garlic. It costs a small fortune at the store but is yummy to cook with. Last year I bought garlic scapes a bunch of times for cooking. Can you guess how many times I ate the scapes from my very own fancy organic hardnecks? Zero. Zilch. Typical.

I guess time and taste will tell if garlic is worth the space and the 8+ month grow time + curing

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails