June 8, 2011

Grow Dammit Grow

The Hoffman garden is off to a slow start in 2011. Cold weather, lots of rain, and too much Spring travel on my part. Everything was in almost a month earlier last year. This year most of my garden will be heirloom varieties started from seeds from the Hudson Valley Seed Library: lettuce, kale, chard, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, herbs, spinach. This year I'm trying some free garden planning software, I don't think it gives me anything more than my handwritten version though. I wouldn't pay for it that's for sure.

our water front view
the beds and the containers are ready for planting
5 of the tomato plants are in: 
Amish Paste, Mama Leone, red pear, a local bi-color cherry & yellow pear
the hanging baskets are up, I didn't realize they didn't match until I got home
the garlic doubled in size since last time I posted a picture
I'm limiting the number of veggies we are growing this year to give everything more room. Last year I could hardly pick a tomato they were jammed in their so tight. I'm going to concentrate on the big dollar items and things I juice with every day like kale, chard, lettuce, cukes, etc. Some things took up too much room for too little reward (broccoli, Brussels sprouts). The crazy indeterminate tomatoes are getting twice the space and they will be getting regular pruning. We would hear people walk by our house last year and say, "Holy Shit! Look at those tomatoes!" They were mutant. They grew up over the fence and all the way to the ground on more than one occasion. I brought a seedling to a friend for her garden in Michigan...this year she told me I can keep my tomato plants. No winter squash this year either. Our grass is still recovering from last year's squash. Just two plants took over a huge area of our lawn. 

So that's the plan, more to come when things start to sprout.

2 comments:

  1. Ambitious! Looks like good eats to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks great! We hope that when we get a house that we will have plenty of room for a veggie garden like yours!

    Thank you so much for making a donation to help with Miyagi. The Emergency vet said he seems to be improving and we are going to visit him later this afternoon :)

    xoxo,
    CAPow! & M

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails