March 13, 2011

This week I got nothing!

Last week I was on a major blog role talking paint and fabrics and egg&dart and this week I'm stuck in Siberia working 14+ hour days since Monday. And getting up super early on the east coast makes it even harder since I live on mountain time. I don't want to talk about work here, but basically I had a huge problem on one of my jobs this week and what made it harder than most problems I deal with is that for most of the week this is what I was dealing with:

1. we didn't know what caused the problem
2. we didn't know how extensive the damage was
3. we didn't know how to fix it
4. we didn't know how long it would take to get it fixed
5. we didn't know how to prevent it from happening again
6. I had two lines down and the clock was ticking

Usually when an issue comes up, no matter how major, I can answer all of those questions and work through the resolution. This week we just had to take it one day at a time, hour by hour until we got a handle on it. I became an investigative reporter while all my guys got to work around the clock and 6 long days later I think I figured out what happened. It's boring shit that I won't bother explaining. We've got temporary fixes in place and are working today to make those permanent. We got one line running in about a day and a half and the other in 2.5 days. It's never a good thing when every expert you talk to says this was The largest "catastrophic failure" anyone who knows this stuff has ever seen in their careers, ever. It was in essence, The Perfect Storm. Man am I lucky! And to top things off we got a last minute notice that the most powerful woman in the world would be touring this particular plant on Tuesday. Fabulous. Anyway, enough about that, we've got a handle on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails