August 7, 2010

Wine Anyone?

I can't believe I've never done a blog about one of my favorite things.  Wine!  So when I restocked the bar cart today I decided to share some of our everyday favorites.  Here is our cart, filled to the brim in a corner of the dining room.  Not bad for a $50 Craigslist purchase.
Atteca Old Vines 2008, a Garnacha from Spain.  It's our go to wine to have with pizza.  We've been buying this one since the 2005 vintage and each time you go from one vintage to another it is a little harsh so if you have the time (and money) try to buy enough so you can store it for awhile.  Winespectator rated the 2007 vintage a 90 and had the following tasting notes: Toasted vanilla and smoke notes accent raspberry and black cherry fruit in this sleek red, which has enough tannins for grip. The fresh finish echoes with dark chocolate and spice.

Here is a new favorite everyday red we just had for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Olivares Altos De La Hoya 2008, a Monastrell from Spain.

Mostly we drink red wines but in the summer I love a good white, so refreshing on a hot day.  This year I've been drinking whatever Gruner Veltliner I can get my hands on, which isn't much since there are only a few choices in the wine store.  Hopler Gruner Veltliner 2008 from Austria.  I couldn't figure out how to get that double dot-thingy over the o and the u so you'll have to use your imagination.
All bottles shown are under $15.  French and Italian wines tend to be my favorites but they get pricey.  To find better prices without going too New World check out Spain, Chile, and Austria.  Bottoms up!

5 comments:

  1. Man, I commend anyone who can have wine out and not drink it. We do have a few reds out - I am into australian whites lately, and they don't stay in the fridge for long. I want to try that Gruner Veltliner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit it is out and then it is gone! Try any GV, they all seem to be good and fresh! Since "moving to the big city" as we like to call it, we have doubled our wine drinking. Not sure yet if that is good, bad, or just plain expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I have moved to the large bottles. frighteningly true. It just makes more sense $wise since I have some every day so I don't have to keep running to the store. or at least that is what i tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I work in the beverage industry (Pepsi) I read a lot of trade mags and wine in large formats has come so far. Not talking bottles, but wine in a box or in those aseptic containers (kind of like a drink/juice box) has really come a long way. I don't think I could go that direction as I'm too much of a snob, but to save a few bucks give them a try. I'm always impressed when I read about the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And in case anyone but Sherri is reading the comments, I don't condone leaving your wine out in the light/heat but this is our everyday wine and we drink it fast enough that no harm is done.

    And...I drank that GV with my dinner last night, perfecto!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails