August 8, 2010

CrazySexyJuice Anyone?

Living healthy is about balance right?  So yesterday was about wine, and today is about juice!  Most of you know from my 57 detox blog posts that I bought a juicer a few weeks ago.  Here is the long and the short of it.  

A few years ago I watched a documentary called Crazy Sexy Cancer about a hot young NYC actress who got a rare and incurable cancer.  One of the ways she tried to combat her disease was through food, mainly a raw vegan diet.  I found myself instantly wanting to be healthier and declared to Bernie, "I WANT A JUICER!!!"  I watched the movie a few days before my friend Danielle and I were going to do an all fruit, all raw cleanse.  It was terrible.  We drank store bought juice and stuffed down plain raw veggies and fruit.  One sip of carrot juice and I almost gagged on my desk.  Straight in the garbage that went.  We went through serious caffeine withdrawal. Somehow going to a hot yoga class seemed like a good idea where again I almost threw up.  Needless to say on the way home we went to a deli.  Our cleanse lasted 2.5 days.  Not a good experience which Bernie promptly quipped, "still want that juicer?"  Jerk.  But it was true, I did not want that juicer.  That was almost 3 years ago.

After transitioning to a more vegetarian diet over the last year (mainly due to high protein backlash which made it so I can hardly stomach chicken) and a family member's cancer diagnosis I decided to watch CrazySexyCancer again.  I felt just as inspired as the first time I watched it.  This time I thought, I have to buy a juicer, so I did.  My dad had a stroke.  My mom died of cancer.  Shouldn't I start combating this shit now I thought?  About 2 minutes after I bought the juicer Bernie's cousins Nipper and Karen mentioned the book The Green Smoothie Revolution.  Then I was wondering, do I return the juicer and buy a fancy blender?  Which is better?  I think the answer is there is room for both.  Juice allows you to get all kinds of nutrients straight into your bloodstream while smoothie's offer the great benefits of fiber and less of the fruits/veggies go to waste.  I have mainly been juicing (typically 3 parts green to 1 part fruit)  but want to get more into the green smoothies eventually.  To hear both sides of the argument check out Kris' take on it here.  I will say I'm glad I have a compost pile because juicing produces a LOT of vegetable waste.  You can go through a huge stack of produce for just one glass - I've already got plans for The Garden Phase II to help keep costs down next year.  Seven years after her diagnosis Kris Carr's tumors are stable and she transitioned her website and message to Crazy Sexy Life.  Suiting and inspirational I think.  

Anyway, here are a few pics of me making my favorite juice.  I also wanted to mention I have kept off every single pound I took off during my detox week and then some even after going out of town and indulging on a few things when I returned!  I don't know if it has anything to do with eating raw or juicing but it's like something inside my body has changed.  If you're curious as to which juicer I got and why:  I bought the die cast Breville model 800JEXL from Bed Bath and Beyond.  I bought a Breville because they are easy to clean (all parts are top rack dishwasher safe), they have a large feed chute so you don't have to chop things up, and the die cast model matches the rest of my appliances.  When you talk to people that have juicers collecting dust it is typically because they were too hard to clean and they had to spend too much time chopping.  I'm very happy with it, but there are certainly cheaper models out there.






Waste shoots out on the left, juice on the right.  It tastes much better than it looks!!!  Pour it on some crushed ice and there you have it!

CUCUMBER, BASIL and LIME JUICE (GOOP)
SERVES: 1 (I double it)
Starting with the basil, juice everything into a glass, give it a stir and enjoy.
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise (I typically use regular cukes)
1/2 lime, zest and pith removed
1 apple, cut into wedges (I don't cut them unless they are really large)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails