August 16, 2010

Batali's Pesto

I lurve me some pesto!  I've never made pesto before, typically mine comes economy sized from Costco which actually is pretty good stuff.  Last night Bernie and I made a quadruple batch of Mario Batali's Basil Pesto recipe from his newest book, Molto Gusto.  As a side note, I'm loving that book.  The recipes are mostly vegetarian, fresh, and simple.  What a concept!  We made our pesto with the basil we grew.  I think I have enough basil to make 2 gallons of pesto if anyone needs any, let me know.  I'm going to experiment with other recipes and stock up the freezer before winter.  Will keep you posted on my favorite.

The 4x recipe made 2 half pints and the rest went into two freezer bags.  I'm sorry but these jars are too cute.
For dinner I took some veggies from the garden - pear tomatoes and broccoli
Then I cooked up some fresh pasta and tossed it lightly with the pesto, tomatoes, broccoli, and thanks to a suggestion by David Lebovitz, some reserved pasta water and a little butter
I topped it with a little fresh grated Parmesan and served it with some white wine.  Bernie loved it.  So did I.

Recipe
Basil Pesto by Mario Batali via Molto Gusto
makes 1 cup

3 garlic cloves
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
3T pine nuts
Generous pinch of Maldon or other flaky sea salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3T grated pecorino romano

With the motor running, drop the garlic into a food processor to chop it.  Add the basil, pine nuts, and salt and pulse until the basil and nuts are coarsely chopped, then process until finely chopped.  With the motor running, drizzle in the oil.  Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the Parm and pecorino.  (The pesto can be stored in a tightly sealed jar, topped with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil, for several weeks in the refrigerator.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails