July 26, 2010

Detox Day 1

Day 1 (recipes at the end)

I woke up hungry and wanting eggs and immediately got worried that I was going to starve this week.  How do you start a day without eggs?  I got up and started to prep.  It took me about an hour to get both of my juices done plus prep lunch.  I needed a re-usable shopping bag to lug it all to work.  Here is how my day went.

7:45am. I really enjoyed the Green Lemonade! This made me feel instantly better about the cleanse.  I made it per the recipe with slight modifications. I made mine with red leaf lettuce, no celery (yuk), two apples, I peeled my lemon and used about ¾” ginger. I also added some fresh wheat grass. I finished my juice by 8:30 and you are supposed to wait at least 30 minutes before eating your fruit breakfast.

9:30am-ish.  Breakfast was a large bowl of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. So many berries, that could get old quick. Maybe a berry smoothie would be better. About 30 minutes after the berries I made some loose leaf tea that I got from my doctor. It is supposed to help balance your pH. Who knows if it works but it has some caffeine and it tastes good. I didn’t want to have a caffeine crash giving up my coffee cold turkey. I actually brought my French press in to work. The book doesn’t mention anything about tea. It does say coffee is the least of your worries (compared to process foods and cow dairy) but I know it is about a 4 on the acid scale and I don’t know if I could enjoy it without milk anyway so no coffee for me this week.


11:25am hungry. Ate a pear. More hungry after I ate the pear. More tea.

12:45pm lunch. The carrot stuff I brought was crap. I won't even include the recipe - it was carrot juice blended with an avocado, ginger, and garlic.  Maybe my avocado was going bad it just had such a strong taste. Drank maybe 4-6 ounces out of 16. I wanted to dump it out but I was afraid it will clog the sink at work so it sat on my desk, starring at me. (I ended up flushing it). Had two pieces of romaine with almond butter and raw honey. Had an apple pie LaraBar. The only ingredients are dates, almonds, apples, walnuts, raisins, and cinnamon. What a concept. Full! (note: wait 3-4 hours before eating anything else).

Mid-Day.  Kind of hungry but not too bad. Don’t have a ton of energy.

4:30pm snack. Snack might be overstating things a bit. I had Cucumber, Basil, and Lime juice. I always double this recipe. I added wheat grass. This is my favorite juice recipe to date. But sometimes the balance of ingredients is off and it sucks ass like the rest of them. Don’t be lazy, peel the lime. Otherwise it is bitter.  Took me about an hour to sip this.  It is best cold.  obv.

5:30pm workout – weights with my trainer Heather. Claire and Chelsea worked out too.  She took it easy on us.  I felt really good.

I had to run to the grocery store afterwards because you go through a lot of food juicing and eating raw.  I went to the Farmers market Saturday and Sunday just to stock up and already needed more staples like lettuce and apples.  In one day I went through a head of lettuce, a head of spinach, 1 lemon, some kale, two handfuls of wheat grass, 2 pieces of ginger, 5 cloves of garlic, a pint of grape tomatoes, a bunch of green onions, 4 apples, a bag of carrots, a huge bunch of basil, 1 lime, 1 cuke, lots of berries, a pear, and an avocado.  Seriously?

8:30pm dinner.  Was starving and scarfed down my food.  I had spelt pasta topped with sauteed spinach, grape tomatoes, green onion, garlic, olive oil, and some goat cheese on top.  Felt a little heavy.

9:00pm dessert.  1/3 of Dagoba dark chocolate bar.  Lots of after taste when the chocolate is that dark.  But I'll take it.

RECIPES:

GREEN LEMONADE (The Raw Food Detox Diet) - love it!
1 head romaine or celery
5-6 stalks of kale
(any greens in place of romaine/kale - chard, collards, spinach, cucumber, etc as long as some dark leafy greens)
1-2 apples
1 lemon (don't have to peel)
1-2" fresh ginger (optional)
Juice everything together

OH SO SIMPLE ROMAINE WRAPS (The Raw Food Detox Diet)
5 servings
5 romaine leaves
5T raw almond butter
5t raw honey
Put 1T almond butter and 1t honey on each piece of romaine.  Wrap up and enjoy!

CUCUMBER, BASIL and LIME JUICE (GOOP) - this is my favorite!
SERVES: 1 (I double it)
Starting with the basil, juice everything into a glass, give it a stir and enjoy.
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 lime, zest and pith removed
1 apple, cut into wedges

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails