June 19, 2010

I made a promise and I'm sticking to it

Well, for the most part anyway.  Here's what I said in a previous blog post:
In an attempt to educate myself on what it means to eat in season, from May - November my goal is to only buy produce/fruit from farmer's markets or get it out of my garden.
So I've mostly been able to do that.  But not 100%.  Our farmer's market just opened on Wednesdays (in addition to Saturdays) and since I was driving by on my way home from jury duty I stopped in right as it opened.  I grabbed what I thought were green onions but it turns out they were overwinter garlic.  I started to put them back and then said what the hell, live on the edge you rebel.  Reminds me of the time I asked Bernie to make stir fry while I worked out and he thought the leeks that I bought to make soup with were green onions.  Have you ever seen how big a frickin leek is?  It would take at least 5 green onions to equal one of these leeks.  They don't taste so good in stir fry either but it made for a good laugh.

So anyway, here's what I got: super skinny asparagus, cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, and the overwinter garlic.  The spinach is from my own damn garden!  Some bugs ate holes in some of the leaves, but I'm assuming that comes with the territory.  It's all so pretty and colorful!  I made a quinoa pasta primavera with a little bit of baked chicken added in.  I sliced the garlic bulb and sauteed it in some olive oil then added the green part (not the leafy part) and then added the spinach.  It gave the best flavor, would definitely try it again.  Or it could just be I grew the best damn spinach in the state of Colorado.  It's possible. 

Some of the garlic stems or whatever the hell they're called were impossible to cut through but the guy selling them said we could eat them and we didn't die afterwards so there you have it.  The heirlooms went on the pizza I made last night.  Yum yum yum.  Support your local farmers and shop local all at the same time by hitting the Farmer's Market this summer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails