May 20, 2010

Grow Dammit Grow, part 5, the garden in Spring

Introducing the Hoffman Garden
A 3' x 30' Denver Garden
It might not look like much but from left to right I have carrots, beets, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, parsnips (I moved them, they're starting over fresh away from their dreaded enemy, the carrot, who knew vegetables don't always like each other), lettuce, spinach, and more lettuce.  There is still a plot of land where the parsnips used to live and a relatively large section between the broccoli and the lettuce for leeks and winter squash.  The containers to the far left will be red peppers and eggplant.  And I'll be planting herbs throughout.  Mainly basil as I'm obsessed with basil.
Planted 8 tomatoes: 1 Yellow Brandywine, 2 Romas, 2 New Yorkers, 1 Black Krim, 1 Red Pear, and 1 Yellow Pear.  Did I mention I just started eating tomatoes this year?  I grew the New Yorkers and the Pears from seeds from the Hudson Valley Seed Library.  The rest I bought from our local green house City Floral.  It should be noted I would have put the tomato cages on upside down had I not seen them at the garden center.  So much for my engineering degree.
Our fancy sprinkler system is in action above.  Makes for easy watering for sure.  To the right is my makeshift barrier so the dog can't pee on the lettuce.  All the green is lettuce - getting ready for that first salad.

I've been sending everyone, willing or not, home with my seedlings.  A garden seems like a powerful thing.  It's a hobby.  Its a lot of work.  It can feed you.  It can feed your friends.  It could die under a brown thumb.  I'm taking some tomatoes and peppers back to Michigan for my BFF.  She doesn't want her name out on the internet so I'm still trying to think up one of those blog code names for her.  She's my oldest friend, half of you know her, you'll have to email me some suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails