May 12, 2010

BL2 Week 5

Sorry for the delay, I had a one day trip to Tucson yesterday and Bernie was waiting for me to get home so he could watch Lost.  How the hell are they going to wrap this thing up in one more episode plus the season finale "event"?  I think they're going to leave us hanging, I just feel disappointment looming...but anyway, on to Biggest Loser.

But before we get to the results...we've been looking to do a girls weekend centered around health and fitness (and let's be honest, a little wine) for awhile now so when we saw this cruise hosted by my BFF Jillian Michaels it seemed like the perfect opportunity to hang with the girls, lay in the sun, and workout (and let's be honest, drink a little wine).  We have to wait until next week to book due to a bunch of crazy rules they have, but I think Karin and I are for sure in and Danielle is 99% with us.  Anyone else want to go?  Oct 21-25 out of Miami.

Below is the percentage of weight loss after Week 5 (this is a running total, not a weekly result).  Heidi is still in first place but she owes us a weigh-in since she has been on vacation somewhere warm and sunny.  Sharon is in second and Jen has pulled up into third place by a hair over Karin - excellent work everyone!  We're getting towards the half way point - are you meeting your goals?  Are you meeting your potential or are you going to get to week 6 and say, man, I should have / could have done more?  (I'm in that boat by the way, anyone else find it odd that I organize weight loss comps and don't lose any effin weight?).  Let's see some big numbers in the next two weeks and earn some of those rewards we've set for ourselves (silver bracelets for me)!!! 

Keri 1.01%
Pickel 1.44%
Karin 3.02%
Carolina 0.79%
Kristy 1.06%
Auntie Ann 0.68%
Jennifer 3.05%
Tracy 0.00%
Danielle 2.01%
Claire 2.11%
Mindy 0.33%
Jamie 2.14%
Amy S-C -0.64%
Lara 0.75%
Marcy 1.03%
Megan 0.76%
Leah 1.14%
Molly 1.47%
Heidi 8.62%
Anne Marie 0.00%
Amanda 1.73%
Michelle 2.37%
Lori 2.64%
Stef 1.14%
Chelsea 1.56%
Sharon 3.11%

I've mentioned in previous blog posts that I'm reading/following The Beck Diet for Life book which uses cognitive therapy to help you to lose weight.  In her April Newsletter Beck shared the following strategies which is basically the essence of her program.  Hopefully you find it as helpful as I have.  This woman can bust any excuse you can throw her way, no lie, she has thought of everything:

One of the most important skills people need is the ability to talk back to their sabotaging thoughts:

“It’s okay to eat this food I hadn’t planned to eat because . . . I’m happy/I’m sad/I’m tired/I’m celebrating/it’s a special occasion/it’s healthy/I hardly ever get to have it/I exercised today/I’ll make up for it later/I’ll start dieting again tomorrow/ it’s free/I can’t waste food/no one is watching.”  And on and on and on.

I teach dieters to anticipate their sabotaging thoughts and together we create forceful responses they write on note cards. They read these cards every morning (because they never know how difficult it will be for them, on any given day, to stick to their diet). They also pull them out just before their vulnerable times of day and when they’re tempted to stray from their eating plan.

A question I often ask dieters is: “What do you wish you would remember when you have a strong temptation or craving for unplanned food?” I include a variety of responses in my books, including:

1. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, in whatever quantity I want—OR I can be thinner. I can’t have it both ways.

2. While it feels unfair that I can’t have this food now, I can always plan to have it tomorrow. The greatest unfairness would be if I let my sense of unfairness prevent me from losing weight.

3. If I eat this food, I’ll get momentary satisfaction but I’ll feel terrible later. If I don’t eat it, I’ll feel proud of myself and especially happy when I get on the scale.

4. Don’t fool myself into thinking it won’t matter if I eat this. Eating this unplanned food strengthens my giving-in muscle and weakens my resistance muscle. Every time matters.

5. Hunger is never an emergency [unless one has a serious medical condition] and cravings always go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails