April 4, 2010

Grow Dammit Grow, part 2 of a 57 part series

It's been three weeks since I started our garden.  See how we got started here.  My tomatoes, eggplant, brussels sprouts, and broccoli are coming up nicely in the heated back porch.  The peppers are just starting to sprout.  I planted the Brandywine heirloom tomato seeds today since I didn't have the seeds when we planted the rest of the tomatoes.  Side note for Anne Marie, I did all the dirty work myself, although I only used my right hand.  Strangely I can't stand to have both hands dirty at the same time.  It's a cross I must bare.  Bare?  Bear?  I don't know.  You get the point.

I'm consulting the Hudson Valley Seed Library (where I bought my seeds) and The Vegetable Gardener's Bible to figure out what to do when.  According to the bible I'm supposed to transplant tomatoes, peppers and eggplants into 4" pots after they grow their true leaves.  Use a 50/50 mix of compost and soil-less seed starting mix.  I transplanted 5 New Yorker Tomatoes, 2 Red Pear Tomatoes, and 1 Yellow Pear Tomato today...the rest are still sprouting.  These look mighty fine don't they?
My first flat of lettuce is sprout-sprout-sprouting away so I planted another flat today and included the Arugula that we forgot in the first round.  I also planted a few types of Basil (loves me some basil), some Thyme, and Oregano all from seed.  I bought rosemary and chive seeds too but turns out you have to start those wayyyyyy in advance.

Finally, I took the pot from our old ficus tree that didn't survive the move.  It's going to be our herb pot because it's tall and the dog can't pee in it.  Right now it has just some small plants - rosemary, dill, chives and thyme.  Once my other herbs sprout up I'll move them over here.  I also want to get some French Tarragon for bernaise.  I hope the chives don't take over the space.  If they do I'll kill them where they stand.

After the gardening was done, Bernie, Cooper, and I walked to the local market 1.5 miles away to buy pork belly for this yummy-looking carbonara recipe.  After the long walk to Marczyk's I was feeling very French so I bought a fresh baguette, some brie, and a bottle of wine.  I finally found the little cornichon pickles I had been after since M'Oprah got me addicted to yet another blog.  Maybe I'll grow/make my own cornichons this summer if I can find an authentic recipe.  Maybe someone on the French Skinny Experiment can help me out.  S'il vous plaît?

5 comments:

  1. holy sprouts!! the world is sprouting. you must have a green thumb. congratulations. it all looks beeeeeee-U-tiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. time will tell if it was my green thumb or Anne Marie's - hopefully it was a happy combination of both and my round two plantings don't go a bust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh, your thumbs are definitely green :) the sprouts are beeautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. trust me...your thumb is definitely green. no matter how much help you had in the planting..you still had to keep them alive. in my world the sprouts would never have seen the light of day. let's be honest. when my teacher's edition said the teacher should grow the grass ahead of time for a science project..it took THREE tries. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gardening. Living in Georgia has perks because basically we get warm weather for most of the year. Love your pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails