January 19, 2010

Week 3!!!

Below is the percentage of weight loss after Week 3 (this is a running total, not a weekly result).  Gave a little shout out to our top 3 - good job ladies, well played!

So, interesting few weeks for me.  I've been working out quite a bit, watching what I eat, counting calories, all the things one should do but with barely any results at all.  So instead of strengthening my resolve and waiting this slump out, I through myself a little pity party.  One might call it a self-sabotaging weekend.  I won't get into all the details, but pizza and wine were involved on 3 different evenings.  Why do we do that to ourselves?  If you're doing really well and seeing results, or working out a lot, you don't want to do anything to jeopardize all your hard work so you do even better, say no to the evil cookie and such.  BUT, if you're not seeing instant results, then you go eat a cheeseburger and fries?  I mean, why does it matter anyway since you ate good and worked out and didn't lose any weight, so you might as well have the cheeseburger right?  Stupid.  I know it's stupid, yet it still happened.  Actually, it didn't "happen", I made a choice.  Oh, and as if I didn't feel bad enough, I still lost weight.  As if my body were saying, Fu@# You Keri, you think you know me but you don't. 

Keri 1.43%
Marija 1.53%
Karin 2.76%
Carolina 1.54%
Kristy 0.64%
Auntie Ann 4.52% (who says age matters?  the most "experienced" of our competitors is kicking all but two of our asses!  go Meema!)
Jennifer 3.06%
Tracy 1.52%
Danielle 0.31%
Claire 2.27%
LaVerne 2.40%
Jamie 1.58%
Amy S-C 0%
Chelsea 1.72%
Marcy 6.85% (over half way to her goal, and our winner 3 weeks running!  Did I mention she has 3 young daughters at home?)
Kathy 0.50%
Lori 4.85% (my sister, not too shabby!)
Shannon 3.35%
April ?%
Amy G-S 2.78%
Amanda 3.23%
Michelle 3.89%

Weekly Tip courtesy of Everyday Health:
Add Some Weight to Your Workout  
The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism, and the faster your weight loss, explains Schmidt. Experts suggest adding two sessions of targeted weight training to your weekly fitness program through either free weights, resistance machines, or exercises using Therabands. Try Dr. Apovian's favorite: Do lunges from one end of the room to the other as you use hand weights to work biceps and triceps.
Weekly Thoughts courtesy of your teammates/competitors. If you have anything you want to share with the group (any ah-ha moments, inspirational stories, healthy tips, etc.), send it to me with your weight next week and I'll post it in this section.
I stepped on the scale two weeks ago and saw the highest number I've ever seen. I figured since I'd been a good 15 pounds lighter just a few months earlier, the weight would just melt right off with a few simple changes in my diet and hopping back on my elliptical. So I revamped my diet, started exercising regularly, and committed to cutting out alcohol during the week. I stepped on the scale last week expecting at least a two pound loss but my weight stayed the same. I re-committed to my diet and increased my activity level for week two. I stepped on the scale and expected enough of a loss that it would make up for the previous week. I lost a pound. Barely. I realized what I did not commit to was changing my attitude towards myself and how I handle stress- I have been allowing stress to get in my way and be my excuse to eat, relax rather than work out, drink, and just keep the weight on. I let stresses at work and my personal life impact my health. I'm now committing to not only a healthy body, but a healthy mind. NOW I expect the weight to melt off, but I also know a change this big will take time.

Thanks for putting this together, ker, and for inspiring me by giving me tips, being honest, and forcing me to be honest with myself. The reality is that I can't do this by just eating better and exercising- it's not that simple for me. I need to be active every day, count my calories religiously (and honestly!!) and get my head straight before I can expect any results. and just because I don't see results doesn't give me permission to eat or relax, which I've also done in the past. I often look for the reasons to not do something- if my weight is down I figure I can relax, if my weight is up I figure there's no point in working out. Gotta grow up, I guess. It's about time.
The quote above was NOT from me, funny how we all struggle in the same ways. 

So, what kind of choices did you ladies make this last week?  As with most weeks, some took a step back, some stayed the same, some are getting closer and closer to their goals and some ended right back at where they started.  What kind of week are you going to CHOOSE to have in week 4?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails