December 9, 2009

Let's Get Healthy Shall We?

Most of you know I’m a HUGE fan of The Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels. I’m re-reading Jill’s book (she’s my BFF, so yes, I call her Jill) Master Your Metabolism and thought I would share the highlights with y’all. Most of you probably know all of this, but just in case you’ve been living under a rock somewhere in Mississippi…

If you want to look like my BFF Jill, read on.

 Step 1 - Remove:
• processed foods
• hydrogenated fats (shortening, partially hydrogenated blah blah blahs)
• refined grains (enriched, white stuff)
• high fructose corn syrup (in the interest of job security on my part, a certain beverage company is coming out with a naturals product line using sucrose)
• artificial sweeteners (that certain beverage company will also be producing products with natural zero calorie sugar substitutes like Stevia)
• glutamates (MSG)
• reduce intake of these “less than stellar options”: starchy root vegetables; tropical, dried & canned fruits; excess soy; excess alcohol (gasp); full fat dairy & fatty meats; canned foods; caffeine
• remove toxins from your life (there is a whole section on this, too much for this blog)
• Basically, “if it didn’t have a mother & it didn’t grow from the ground, don’t eat it!”

Step 2 - Restore:
• legumes (beans)
• alliums (garlic, onions, leeks, chives, shallots, scallions)
• berries (organic)
• meat & eggs (wild fish, grass-fed beef,)
• colorful fruits & veggies (in season, organic)
• cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage)
• dark-green leafy veggies (spinach, arugula, turnip greens)
• nuts & seeds
• organic dairy (full fat cheese in moderation, watch out for the junk in some of the low fat products)(once you get used to it, Greek yogurt is way better than the brands that fall into several categories of the “remove” section above)
• whole grains (steel cut oats, barley, whole wheat pasta, quinoa pasta (my favorite), amaranth, spelt)
• Go Organic! It is the best way to avoid 90% of all hormone-disrupting agents in our food supply (pesticides, hormones, chemicals, antibiotics, etc)
Basically, eat whole, natural, real foods as often as possible

Step 3 - Rebalance
• eat breakfast within an hour of waking up
• eat every 4 hours (3 meals, 1 snack)
• eat until you are full, not stuffed
• don’t eat after 9pm
• combine foods correctly (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat give or take)
• sleep at least 7 hours a night
• move your body every day
• be good to yourself

Once you become aware and really look at your food labels you might be a little shocked by how many ingredients are in your favorite foods. I’ve been trying to follow the rule if it has more than 5 ingredients it probably isn’t good for me. Your best bet is to “shop the perimeter” as we’ve all been told, or better yet, grow your own food or shop the farmer’s markets then you don’t have to be bothered with those pesky food labels.

So, how have I been doing?  So so.  I've been working out, but could do more.  I'm really happy with how yoga is going, getting back into the swing of things.  Getting some therapy on my knee.  I could be eating better.  Still down -2lbs but need to kick it up a notch.  As a little extra incentive I will be enlisting all of you in a little Biggest Loser contest of our own after the New Year so get ready. 

If you're interested in the book...

4 comments:

  1. Yikes. This is a super long list. I'll try it... someday.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! It is long, but mostly all things you probably know. Unfortunately I doubt she would endorse my fab pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think as long as the apples were organic, your pie might just slip in under the wire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think, Trooper, you just found the loophole I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails